Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Believe It, Be It



I just finished reading this book written by the first female winner of the Biggest Loser, Ali Vincent.  All in all, it was a good  read.  She tends to repeat herself a lot, but I really enjoyed what she had to say about her life's transformations and how everyone is capable of the same.  She tells her story from "the beginning," how she started as a Mormon girl (a surprise to me) who didn't quite fit the mold (with a permiscuous, single mother), to a self-conscious teenager and unhappy young adult.  I liked her account of how she and her mother ended up on the show, and what happens behind the scenes at the Biggest Loser ranch.  If you are a fan of the show, it is worth the read if you are looking for more of what really goes on there.  The title of the book, "Believe It, Be It", is a saying she would repeat to herself every morning on the ranch as she rung a little bell given to her by a friend.  I thought it was catchy.  I also learned that she is a lesbian...also a surprise.  She seems to be a very warm, upbeat person with a lot of love for others. 

So, if you're looking for a little motivation to change your life, pick it up.  Next on the docket...The Time Traveler's Wife.

4 comments:

Kristy said...

Hey, Michelle! So glad to have found your new home on the 'net. I'll be checking in often! :)

Katrina said...

Fun blog, Girlfriend!
And holy cow, I didn't know Ali was a Mormon or a lesbian! Doesn't sound like a book I'd buy, but maybe I'll check it out at the library.

Jessica said...

can she be both a mormon and lesbian at the same time? Hm..I think I know the answer, never mind.

Let me know what you think of Time Travelers Wife. I tried to get through, but didn't make it. I'll tell you why after you read it. :)

christine said...

Have you ever read Dr Oz's "You on a Diet?" or things like "Fast Food Nation"? These things really changed my attitudes towards food.